My 17 year old self

Tick tock tick tock, the sound the clock makes which every human on earth follow strictly, forgetting that life doesn't come with instructions. At age nine, a child is in basic nine and his counterpart is in basic four, it's based on timing.

I cringe when I see teachers flog pupils because they don't seem to understand what is being taught. Instead of teaching using various methods so as to carry as many pupils along, they keep saying "your mates know this and that, why are you so dumb". Psychology says that mental age is not equal to chronological age, which means, two children might be of the same age while their intelligence quotient is miles apart.

I can say categorically that Pre-seventeen years old, I was living a borrowed life. Very naive of even the slightest of things, sometimes I wonder how I survived. In school especially, never aced, coy, never felt among but the genius thing my teachers did was not to beat me for failing or passing on trial. Truth be told, I was trying to meet up to par, maybe not as much as I did in later years but at least I wasn't playful and strived as best as I could, but I wasn't just getting it.

When it was time to graduate from senior high school, I did but as an unfinished product. Had the focus but not the intellectual capacity. Well, tables turn, bridges burn, life goes on, you live and learn. As God would have it, my seventeen year old self caught the luminous allure. This wasn't without the instruction and guidance of teachers who were willing to turn contents into rocket ships and leave craters in my inexhaustible mind. Wasn't easy though but I literally, demanded that my life be given to me with God as my anchor.

As I pen this personal anecdote, I can only connect the dots and be grateful to my seventeen year old self who chose not to stay overtly complacent.

✍
Ogunlana A. Owolabi

#NewBreedsOfTeachers #TeachWithLove #DevelopmentalPsychology #IndividualPace #EveryChildIsAStar #AllChildrenAreUncommon #SeventeenYearOld #Divergent #CountYourBlessing #KeepLearning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pistols at dawn🗣 (A Short Story)

Twins Palava👬

Broken Chords🎸

Be Relentless...

On Love and Bliss🗣